Mr Gerrit Idema lead the company since 2003. The company was founded in 1997 by Dr Ronnie van Steenderen (DSc Water Environmental Sciences, University of Pretoria, 1979) and Mr Gerrit Idema (Mdip, Microbiology, Pretoria Technicon, 1991).
Both were previously employed by the CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, the largest research centre on the African continent). Dr Ronnie van Steenderen ended his career at the CSIR as Chief Specialist Researcher after 35 years' of service, and Mr Gerrit Idema as Chief Microbiologist after a span of 15 years.
During this period we have been actively involved in the following:
- Ground water studies/surveys in Namibia
- Evapotranspiration studies in Namibia
- Limnological studies on dams in the RSA
- Chemical/physical surveys on rivers and catchment areas in the RSA
- Analytical chemistry: wet chemistry and instrumental
- Studies on the use of activated carbon in water treatment
- Chemical method development and techniques for the disinfection of water and wastewater
- Studies and the construction and implementation of solar distillation units in Namibia
- Evaluation of diatomaceous earth filtration units and sand filtration surveys on the efficiency of water and wastewater plants in terms of organic material removal
- Analytical chemistry method development<,/li>
- Management of a mobile analytical laboratory
- Evaluation and construction of small-scale (e.g. domestic) water purification systems
- Investigation of water related epidemics
Water quality analyses in terms of:
- Bacterial, viral and protozoan parasite water quality
- Method evaluation and development in terms of bacteria, virus and protozoan parasites
- Drafting and presentation of courses in water microbiology, health and hygiene aspects of waste water re-use for irrigation purposes
- Evaluation of cooling towers and air-conditioning systems
- Small scale solar disinfection of water for rural communities
- Microbiological surveys on fresh and marine water
- Biological waste disposal
- Drafting and presentation of water chemistry lectures at University of Pretoria
- Actively involved with the microbiological and chemical monitoring of the Windhoek drinking water reclamation plant
- Industrial process control monitoring
- Design and evaluation of small and medium water treatment devices
In the past AQUADOC ® Analytics CC concentrated on the design and commercialisation of Total Organic Carbon (TOC) and Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) analysers for the application in water, waste water and industrial usage. The company had twenty two of their analysers operating in various industries and municipalities since 1988. Five of the latter were on-line quality control process analyses.
We have also been involved in water treatment and purification. The AQUADOC® UV-water purification system was founded by us and improved by our sister company, QuaWater PTY (Ltd.).